A Contradictory Allegiance

A forum for in-character roleplay. (IC)
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Confederation of
Name: Solar Communes

Re: A Contradictory Allegiance

Post by Solar Communes »

With the situation at hand, Corrientes erratically felt a sudden urge to lighten some old and classic marijuana, However, before she could find the necessary time to find a cigarette through her mindsearch and to order some idle machine to bring it to her, sitting down next to the large airlock, more strings of messages would announce their presences as the replies came to her. Kanuckistan and Otagia were the names of those strange spacecrafts origins, and looking at the stars, as the walls and scenery of the inners of the craft again faded, she pondered on what opportunities and risks such new arrivals would bring, few seconds before the first message was heard.

"Captain Tiber Nerevar; prospector, miner, and owner-operator KCS Percival Fluffypants," the voice replied, "As for where I'm from, that'd be Kanuckistan; I've a nice little place in Kyoto system, tho if you've read the IFF you'll already know Fluffy's registered to a gas station 'round a red dwarf in the Home Cluster.

Still trying to figure out how I got here, or where here is for that matter, but I should be fine for now; suppose it's as good a time as any to get some maintenance done."

The most interesting coincidence, perhaps, was the fact that like their star system, Gliese 581 the origin of that lost spacecraft was also a red dwarf with a gas station, provided that the same also meant a set of gas giant mining bases logistically linked to the Dyson ring. Probably they would already have scanned what lied in such system. A large quantity of sparse and independent stations layered into a ring astronomical units away, and three planets orbiting the Red Dwarf: a gas giant, a Venus-like planet which was clearly inhabitated and an arctic Super-Earth. In space, things could not be hidden. Or at least in their space. Stopping the other transmission, she prepared to send a message, and sighed in alleviation as her urge to smoke some drug passed. She realized how doing such thing could mess everything up and could not risk it.

Outside of the base, her friend has left and headed back to Gliese 581c, while a few hundreds of thousands of kilometers away, three spacecrafts were flying in independent random vectors, keeping an unaltered relative distance to the unknown spacecrafts, cautiously watching both. They were neither ridiculously large, nor they were small, had a teardrop shaped hull covered in a thick layer of ice, and large thrusters on their backs expelling equally large quantities of propellant, visibly being reaction drives of some sort. There were no detectable guns in them, even though they were clearly at a defensive formation, with ten thousands of kilometers separating each one in a complex 3D formation.

Annika knew what they were there for, and just hoped that they would just stay there and watch. It was then that she finally realized what to reply to someone who seemed to at least have a quite human mind. Perhaps it could a brain merged into a machine, or into the spacecraft itself, or something else. She would rather ignore the possibility that there were Xenu with a mind so similar to the human mind that destroying them would raise questions. Thus, her soft voice again announced through the channels, properly translated to his own language:

"This system is technically called Gliese 581, although we prefer to call it Anarchos. It's a red dwarf too, as you already know. I believe you got lost into the Shadow Universe, because in a chaotic place like that it's not difficult to become lost." she said, with a small pause as finally, her face appeared together with the transmission. A light brown skin, short brown hair, large lips, unnatural steel red eyes and facial traces which seemed to combine a no longer individual European, Asian and African ancestry from the old Earth formed the image of her face to the man as she continued to explain:

"As for Kanuckistan, it sounds like a familiar name for some reason, because in old Earth, the Canadians sometimes called themselves Kanucks. Regarding maintenance, I think I know what is your problem. You came from another universe, so I think that Albert Einstein disagrees with your primary propulsion system. No worries, we can give you a push back home, where they'll work again, if you wish, with our torchships adapted as tugs. Or would you be willing to dock into here? I can clear your spacecraft for docking. Considering your vessel ID, you might have something for trade. But anyway, we best discuss further more closely."

It was by then that she would let the Otagian transmission to come into her head, and thank again for the communications management system that allowed for simultaneous conversations without the usual confusion. It would be the most shocking message she ever received, but being by far the essence of anti-psych, what was in certain circles known as a pariah, Annika could not feel anything for what she would hear:

"As I have previously stated, I am the Perfect Gentleman. No autonomous subdivisions exist. You are, however, correct in your assumptions regarding our origin. The humans among the Otagian populace are primarily of Japanese descent. Our population is somewhat more diverse than Homo sapiens, however. Rhunfolk, canids, numerous xenoform immigrants... Anyone that wishes to become a Citizen, really."

The message was like a huge hammer knocking on her back, and she suddenly felt an unwavering confusion, a wish to simply forget or pretend she has heard such absurdity from these unknown beings. The very idea of humans coexisting with Xenu scum only could mean one thing in her mind, that these Otagians have been oppressed and conquered by aliens. It seemed that the brink of war was there, and she gasped as she tried to find the words to reply back. The mention of canids was even more abhorrent and repugnant, and she preferred to not think deeper about it. Putting her right hand palm over her face, she sighed and muttered to herself, also recognizing what autonomous subdivisions meant:

"The enemy is at our doors, and we can do nothing to save the humans of Otagia from the Xenu oppression. I wish that we had remained isolated from the rest of the multiverse. What should I say to something that seems to be a really good machine in pretending to be intelligent crafted by dregs who enslaved human beings?"

It was the toughest ever moment of diplomacy, for all other contacts of them involved aliens shooting first before asking, and easily putting themselves as deserving of immediate annihilation. However, this was different from the usual first contact with the usual emotionless scum. There was more at stake, and for now, they posed no significant threat, although that could change, and caution was advisable. Sighing deeply, she suddenly became cold, as her emotions seemed to fade into nothingness, and with professionalism, she prepared a message to the Perfect Gentleman, also showing her own, unique face:

"Well Perfect Gentleman, it seems like Otagia is a quite interesting civilization. Now, I suppose that perhaps you might be interested into a more effective reaction drive? I could patch one. This system is Gliese 581, and seems like Special Relativity disagrees with your propulsion systems. But as we discovered that it doesn't work beyond that gate you came from, we could help you to return, or if you are interested, we could meet ourselves, either by uplinking my mind to your computers or to one of your drones, or physically. I believe we have much to learn from each other"

As the message was done, she sighed again. She did not know whether it would be less disturbing to represent the Solarians to Tzeentch or to do what she was doing right now, speaking to something that originated from a formerly human civilization which was likely enslaved by mass immigrations of Xenu scum. Remembering of how she never was bothered about the strange anomaly so close yet distant, her mind was soon to conclude:

I would rather be speaking with Tzeentch.
ESUS: And with strange Eons, even Death may Die
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Tiber closed the 'netboard windows as the zipcomm disconnected, reassurance touching ears and muzzle, putting aside his review of non-realtime inquiries to communities back home in favour of focusing on the pair of pending communique.

"Perfect Gentleman," he began, addressing the Otagian again encode, "I'd appreciate any information you could provide on this 'warp rift' - I've talked a few ships into investigating my entry point, but I can't find any reliable information on this term."

"Also, I trust you're listening in on my exchange with the locals - if not, it would seem they share your parallel universe theory, but believe the altered physics, for lack of a better term, to be natural. Assuming they're being honest."

That left the natives; hunams, apparently - seemingly sublight, and thus likely pre-contact. Not too advanced, either, atleast at first glance. That said, all the well known genocidal empires back home were hunam, too, and the Fluffypants was neither in fighting form, not an actual warship. Hell, she couldn't even maneuver!

And Tiber had to admit, as he dropped dishes into the recycler, that that really scared him.

"There are a few ships enroute to my apparent entry location - I think it best I wait until they can push a few drones through and back to make sure the return trip is safe, and actually, ya know, returns. That said, if we are looking at a physics discrepancy, it's probably best I keep my distance, should something catastrophic happen on my end."

There. That should keep them at arms' length, and under the pretense of protecting them, too - he'd have to thank a certain forumite for that one - and make them realise he'd be immediately missed if they decided to "contain" the situation with force. Kittens out of the bag, as it were.

"I should be fine out here until then," no need to mention the new drive I'm building until it's ready; immobile I should be perceived as less threatening, even to xenophobes, "And I believe you're right in the root of our nation's name - huh, parallel universe indeed." ...and there we have a common thread, I hope, which with any luck will add an air of familiarity.
Otagia
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Otagia »

"Perfect Gentleman," he began, addressing the Otagian again encode, "I'd appreciate any information you could provide on this 'warp rift' - I've talked a few ships into investigating my entry point, but I can't find any reliable information on this term."
Glad to assist, Fluffypants. It's a basic interdimensional reality overlay, lands you in a reactive energy melange that has this nasty habit of parroting neuroses. Spawns all sorts of eidolons too, mostly sentient in their own right, with a few of their biggest being Monad-level

The ship looked again at what it had just sent, and sighed, facepalming virtually.

It's a Chronosian thing. Daemons and such. I was doing some field research on it and accidentally popped up here. Should show up on your sensors as a nebula-type thingy putting off way more energy than it has any right to. As for your chat with the locals, I'm eavesdropping nicely. If you'd like, I can return the favor and forward you the records of my ongoing quancomm session.

This system is Gliese 581, and seems like Special Relativity disagrees with your propulsion systems. But as we discovered that it doesn't work beyond that gate you came from, we could help you to return, or if you are interested, we could meet ourselves, either by uplinking my mind to your computers or to one of your drones, or physically. I believe we have much to learn from each other"
I'd like that very much. I've been isolated in what I believe you call the Shadow Universe for a good while now doing research, and it would be a relief to talk to someone besides a copy. You can uplink your mind, or I can send over an Avatar to chat in person. I've managed to slap together a coilgun out of my spare parts. How are you set up for playing catch?
Stercus stercus stercus Moriturus Sum
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Solar Communes »

Waiting tended to bring all types of ponders over a situation, over the events that have unfolded and that are yet to be unfolded, over the choices that were done or had to be done and over the very motivation to be working without any real need. After all, the entire station could have been entirely automated, making any human presence obsolete. Slowly, artificial intelligences nearly perfect in their ability to pretend being truly intelligence have replaced roles that were formerly believed to be irreplaceable by human beings, with only roles that had a significant emotional load and importance still surviving, like teaching and counseling. Human civilization has in one way reached perfection, but in another, led the very human race to the brink of obsolescence. Perhaps the virtual world with its gallant simulated adventures, heroic games and aggrandizing experiences was only a smokescreen and distraction from a dire reality, ironically becoming the "opiate of the masses", and there were clear warnings that the dependence over technology could be the very downfall of humanity. The message came, but Annika simply let it in queue, for she wanted a moment to think about everything.

A long way ago, any powerful electromagnetic pulse was the downfall of those who depended upon a pacemaker to survive. Now most of us are so dependent of technology that we cannot have offspring naturally, and are as vulnerable to an EMP as a robot would be, and millions have died in Alpha Centauri because of it. Perhaps the biocons are right... perhaps we have dug our own grave...

It was then that a second message came. As the thoughts were too negative, it has posed a good opportunity to sway them away for now. It was more important to concentrate on the importance of such contact than to ponder about the future of humanity for now, and the likelihood of one of those being of alien origin was sufficiently frightening. Or perhaps an opportunity to shift again the paradigm and to dismiss the hedonism and laxity that have become the ways of life of most.

There was a certain thought running over Annika's mind regarding the true motivations for her friend to depart as well, although the transmission quickly broke them, as she finally decided to let it come in both text and sound, straight to her senses.

"I should be fine out here until then, and I believe you're right in the root of our nation's name - huh, parallel universe indeed."

In accordance, she realized that whoever or whatever was there showed little interest in a direct contact. Perhaps he was as afraid of the possibilities that such moment held as she was cautious about, and perhaps there was a reason for its existence. A parallel Earth, in another universe, where likely the grandfather of Solar Communes never existed, and history took a completely different turn, where the nations of Earth did not suffer an abrupt collapse by the combined catastrophes of the dwindling of petroleum and of the nuclear devastation of the Third World War. Still, the risks of attempting to convince whoever was inside to contact her directly were offset by the potentials she saw in her mind. From the way the individual was speaking, there was a very high likelihood it was a human, and the chance to study the practical application of principles the universes where Einstein was not as right was too good to be wasted away. The red-eyed woman then pondering on what to speak, as her face again appeared to Tiber Nerevar together with her voice, accompanied by her expression of surprise and by the movements of her lips as she spoke.

"Very well, I see you do not need assistance, but still, I see much potential for us if we know each other better than through this indirect communications, although everything could already become more personal, if you allowed me to see your face, provided your mind is not directly linked or attached to your vessel, or that you are not an artificial intelligence with a sense of humanity, if you know what I mean."

Without any interruption, she immediately allowed for the other transmission to come into her thoughts, and together with it, a new image appeared at the right of her vision, translucent, with two numbers and two holographic pictures. The two spacecrafts that have been detected were now at her sight, with every possible optical information gathered. They seemed very impressive and much ahead of the limitations imposed on their technological advance by the laws of their very universe. She felt safer to realize that whatever came through their civilization with hostile intentions would have to either be compatible with certain scientific laws or face certain destruction. Neither of them however seemed to be of military purpose from the way they were built, although appearances could be deceptive, as they knew by their own, as there was no external difference between a Solarian interstellar transport spacecraft and a Battleship, until the guns of the later came out from the safety of its hull and past the thick layers of ice. It was better to be careful about them, as both had enough size to pack a significant punch, provided its weapons were not dependent on principles which would not work in this universe. To this fact, she paid careful attention to the message of the Otagian vessel, which was probably alien. However, the strangest of all facts is that both vessels seemed to be aware of each other, as if they were... allied. And if such possibility was confirmed, things could become complicated, and the burden of responsibility would double.

"I'd like that very much. I've been isolated in what I believe you call the Shadow Universe for a good while now doing research, and it would be a relief to talk to someone besides a copy. You can uplink your mind, or I can send over an Avatar to chat in person. I've managed to slap together a coilgun out of my spare parts. How are you set up for playing catch?"

As she heard the last part of the transmission, Annika realized what was next to her. Trying to interpret it, she wondered how the hell it contradictorily invited and authorized her to uplink to its physical or simulated decks and areas, while at the same time, in a way she interpreted as mockingly, asking for her to play catch with a coilgun, although that could have a different meaning, due to the probable cultural differences. It was a difficult decision to assume whether the Perfect Gentleman had hostile intentions or not now, which summed with the fact it openly claimed its nonhuman origins, only gathered up for a truly difficult decisions.

It was a decision she feared to even share to others, for Annika already expected what the majority who cared about such historical day would think. They would certainly suggest for her to "Shoot first, ask questions later", and even though she did not dismiss the possibility of taking such dangerous path, with no turning back, she felt a strange sensation... of pride and power, that nobody other than her had the condition to handle such fateful event, and that prejudices and ignorance could put their civilization into war, if the people, now decadent, pathetic and stupid in their majority, decided to vote for how to act. It was a strange thought, as she realized that she was going against the very principle of democracy they stood so strongly for. Hopefully she would not regret refusing to ask what others thought about it, as she still pondered on her decision.

Suddenly, the massive, non-claustrophobic metallic chamber next to the airlocks vanished again at her will, letting her instead to immerse into the completely pure, non-exploited beach, with the sun touching her skin and its heat felt by her body, as the grains of sand could be felt over her back. Annika looked straight to the clear, blue skies above, with the moon still visible as morning was still coming, and wondered what people thought about the beyond. Much has changed, many mistakes were done, from grave ones like the nearly complete annihilation of their very world through their reckless expansion in the dawn of the third millennium, to the smaller but tragic first battle of Earth. She then realized again how difficult it was to make a choice, thinking.

If I fail... billions could die, and our freedom could be gone.

It was by a stroke of cosmic coincidence, that all of a sudden, among the simulated beaches, a crab moved in its funny ways, with a shell of a slug attached to its crust. Observing both beings, she saw something that was the main counter-argument to the claim different species could not coexist peacefully. The crab seemed to not bother the creature over his shell, as it likely rid it of likely parasites, while that the snail simply was there, unharmed, in symbiosis. After all, the very doctrine of Mutual Aid, one of the very principles behind the fair and humane economy of their civilization, was based on factual examples that competition was not the only evolutionary process in Earth. Perhaps... perhaps they have been only unlucky, or perhaps it was necessary to ensure their survival. The image however served nothing to remove her paradigm regarding nonhuman sentiences.

Crabs and snails don't have ambitions, fears, hatred, beliefs or ideas in opposition. Intelligence and sentience can evolve in so different ways among different species that war would be the only way of communications between them. It is our only way to survive. But I cannot just attack them... without provocation. Better safe than sorry however.

And soon a foreign thought came to her mind, that all systems were at maximum alert to track both ships at there. A silent tracking, with no signs or hints, and nothing else done. No guns would be raised against them unless they attacked first, and with the alertness level at maximum, the reaction time could be measured in 1-digit angstroms of a second, provided the need. Now it was perhaps a time to get it right whether playing tag with a coilgun was a taunt for battle or some sort of strange game from such Otagia. She did not let the beach vanish from her sight, for it was the least she could have in that cold, lifeless station, a small illusion to give her the necessary inspiration for what lied ahead. She simply closed her eyes and had a few thoughts.

A quantum transmission came to the Perfect Gentleman with the tag of "Mind Uplink: Annika Corrientes, please direct to the simulated or real-space meeting area of your vessel.", as a completely virtual figure came inside the real or simulated space the Otagian Vessel has prepared for it. Annika hoped that it was fast enough to dismiss formalities and nearly instantly settle up things. The boundaries of corporeal perception and minds unable to literally think together were long broken for the Solarians, although that, after centuries researching the human brain and attempting to discover the true secret of sentience, the pressing matters of war have disrupted such less important research, and the new paradigm led most of them to forget such endeavor, alienated by simulated realities. The virtual body, average in all possible ways, as a probable indication of the actual lack of narcissism in their culture, was dressed into an ancient uniform, akin to that of the women who participated of the First Spanish Civil War during the first century of their Earth's history and emblazoned by the symbol of anarchism, with her ironically alien red eyes still hid by her eyelids. She then spoke, in the place the Otagian vessel assigned for her meeting, with the same voice that came before in her transmissions, but seemingly clearer:

"I wish I could bring my mind together as well rather than only its perception. But nevermind my ramblings Perfect Gentleman. It could be a good thing for this contact that we have things in common, except for the fact I am not a fully artificial being."

Then she opened her red eyes, curious to what sort of environment, real or not, she was brought to by the vessel she has decided to visit in mind rather than body. It was her first look into the inner cultural values or the actual physical shape of an alien spacecraft, and the first of all Solarian history. Hopefully, her decision to not consider the message an hostile act will not be proved wrong.
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Glad to assist, Fluffypants. It's a basic interdimensional reality overlay, lands you in a reactive energy melange that has this nasty habit of parroting neuroses. Spawns all sorts of eidolons too, mostly sentient in their own right, with a few of their biggest being Monad-level

The ship looked again at what it had just sent, and sighed, facepalming virtually.

It's a Chronosian thing. Daemons and such. I was doing some field research on it and accidentally popped up here. Should show up on your sensors as a nebula-type thingy putting off way more energy than it has any right to. As for your chat with the locals, I'm eavesdropping nicely. If you'd like, I can return the favor and forward you the records of my ongoing quancomm session.
"Appreciate it," Tiber replied, "I'll pass it on to my sciency friends - in the mean, if you have a spare inertial compensator that works here, I'd love to borrow it; you would not believe the mess ejecting those cargo pods made of my zero gee stores, and I've only just started the DC survey."

"Very well, I see you do not need assistance, but still, I see much potential for us if we know each other better than through this indirect communications, although everything could already become more personal, if you allowed me to see your face, provided your mind is not directly linked or attached to your vessel, or that you are not an artificial intelligence with a sense of humanity, if you know what I mean."

"I'm nearly a kilometer from the comm room, I'm afraid. The simplest way to keep hackers out of your systems is to physically isolate external comms, so they're not connected - I'm relaying my voice via intercom from one of the zero-gee holds. Seems inertics don't work here, either, because that little nudge earlier made a real mess of things."

Tiber sighed, whiskers twitching as a stray scent caught his attention, a sudden memory leaving the open comm forgotten as he cursed and scrambled through floating debris. Things metal, plastic, ceramic, and other clanged and crashed in the background, befor a something heavy and padded impact a heavy metallic object, the scrabble of claws on not-silver sounding not unlike fingernails, followed by more cursing.

"Sorry about, aww, fuck," he sighed, Annika and the comm suddenly remembered, "Jeeze, that's a fucking thousand year old heirloom - my parents are going to kill me. Fuck."

More sighing, paced breathing as Tiber calmed himself befor the half-crushed Barrier Mug, cold tea droplets floating free. The smoke was stale, so atleast it's internals weren't smouldering.

"Ok. I can fix that. Later. Tits, this is turning into a long list. Sorry, again, but I really have to get this sorted and secured befor I can even think about Delta Vee - licence fees are bad enough, but alot of this stuff can't be molyfabbed... that means it can get... rather expensive. I don't even want to think about accidentally cracking a neutronium fuel cell."
Otagia
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Otagia »

The first impression of the ship's mind was light. Bright sunlight shone through a thick canopy of leaves into the clearing below, birds chirping happily as they flitted from branch to branch. A white tailed deer and its fawn moved serenely across the grass, disappearing again into the treeline.

"Artificial is such a misleading term, I find. After all, everything must be created by the actions of another, humans included. Thus, is it not reasonable to conclude that all existence is artificial?"

Turning to face the speaker, Annika was faced by a tall, slender man, crisp twenty-first century suit offset by a disheveled shock of white-blond hair and startlingly green eyes. He waved in greeting, a smile creeping onto his lips.

"Perfect Gentleman, at your service. It is good to meet you in the flesh, metaphorical as it may be."
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Solar Communes »

Annika immediately noticed the natural environment that has been chosen as their meeting place. Likely, an automated vessel would lack actual physical installations for visitors, or even for anything larger than an human brain. Certainly, a meal would not truly feed the physical body, but it could do the trick of disguising hunger quite well, or to make the need of lipid-burning systems much smaller as the compulsive need for eating could be satisfied with a zero calories diet where one could eat as much as possible, with the same, excellent tastes of matter, without getting fat. Smell, taste, feeling, hearing and vision were completely immersed into such solutions, to the point that for many Solarians, the world of matter was only a host for their disembodied brains, directly connected to the networks, to exist, while others were little more than comatose individuals who no longer cared for what was "real" and what was not, for solipsism was a very predominant view, to which there was no single, true reality or existence, and that perhaps, even further secrets lied beyond what many thought to be the actual reality. Maybe there could be only simulations, which in turn had simulations inside further simulations, leading to an endless cycle that led the quest to finding the end of such journey irrelevant, and thus ensuring that what one perceived was the reality for this individual.

Suddenly she heard someone speaking behind her, into the paradise that has been created, perhaps a sort of wish from the electronic to become organic, to approach them. Eternal existence seemed like a difficult perspective, unless a truly lasting reason to exist was given, for without such, existence was simply pointless, and death, an welcome fate. The Perfect Gentleman was a designed self-aware being, rather than a fruit of random factors, for even the most engineered of Solarians still were organic, and therefore, subject to unexpected features of personality, for the psychological aspects of them were still a random work, out of ethics rather than of impossibility to do otherwise, because uniformity was the mark of tyranny and totalitarianism, and the engineering of personality has ensured the perpetuation of the former Global State for thousands of years. It was quite interesting the question that she would hear:

"Artificial is such a misleading term, I find. After all, everything must be created by the actions of another, humans included. Thus, is it not reasonable to conclude that all existence is artificial?"

It was then that she looked at the choice of avatar for such entity, and a quite interesting one. For the Solarians, the idea of separating human beings between Caucasian and other ethnic groups was long obsolete, for they shared features of all possible ethnicities of the old Earth. Annika contrasted very well with the man ahead of her. She was short, like most personell assigned to space stations due to practical reasons, her hair was brown and curly, and her skin with a tone somewhere between beige and light brown, wearing a quite provoking schoolgirl outfit, featured for being entirely black and with a big circled A in her shirt, and with the always exotic red eyes being the most different feature of hers. As she observed the quite uncommon sight, she then listened to his greetings, or its greetings.

"Perfect Gentleman, at your service. It is good to meet you in the flesh, metaphorical as it may be."

Nodding, she suddenly bowed to him, without informing him she consulted a database on old Earth forms of greetings to attempt making the closest greeting possible to that of the Japanese culture that they have inherited, at such moment. As she smiled to herself as well, due to her choice of clothing and all the jokes she could pull of them later. For this moment, the mentions of Xenos have suddenly been forgotten, as she answered back to the Perfect Gentleman:

"Annika Corrientes, Orderite and main operator of that inertial junk and simulated paradise for a hundred and half of years. It's good to see the choice you made of environment. Pardon my bias but I was expecting something more, technological, if you get my meaning. As for the question of artificiality, it's pointless to us as well, anyway, since we decided to no longer let randomness and ethically questionable doctrines of evolution which contradicted our political beliefs to control our fate as a species. I am as much of a "creation" from the human mind rather than a direct creation of nature as you are. But I believe philosophical matters aren't a very amusing matter, and something you have likely discussed with the other sentients here. I don't like to beat dead horses, and therefore,, if you may allow me to, I wish to get straight into businesses."

She interrupted, preparing to ask the decisive question, as she still remembered, no matter the hundred of years that have passed since she discussed it with her friend, when it have been suggested, that should, by an improbable stroke of coincidence, a vessel of a civilization belonging to the organization known as ESUS, the Extra-Solar Union of Systems, of which only faint, distorted and chaotic garbles could be heard from where sketchy information was picked, they would attempt to forge a new alliance, to secure their future in the multiverse, with its infinite potential, that coupled with solipsism would allow for works that would seem godly, after they have secured a system beyond the veil of the event horizon. It was an worthy question to ask, but, Annika felt that a mere indirect contact would not suffice for the task, should Otagia be one of the names, which were lost to Chaos from the tattered remains of information they have gathered about the ESUS, among other rumors from the beyond. She had to ask it, as the future of her people, of her cause, depended upon the answer:

"I have once, a long time ago, decided that my people is ready to leave the boundaries of our very universe. We have only witnessed the death of space, we have never, ever, in our entire history, made contact with an alien civilization from the stars. It is a lonely galaxy, no matter how little we know of it... we have tried, we have attempted to disprove, to find exceptions to what Albert Einstein wrote, but here, interstellar travel takes at least decades, and at most it could take even millions of years. And we have found very little in inhabitable planets. Finding a diamond inside a trash can is perhaps easier."

Noticing she was deviating from the subject through her pondering of their explorations, Annika then looked at the man ahead of her, and finally went to the point of what she wished to know:

"We have little more to discover in this universe, with only dark energy and matter being what we must study, but their distance means that we will take billions of years to ever find the secrets of creation. Thus, our people no longer have point in their lives, and many fell into mediocrity and idleness, wasting decades inside alternate realities designed for entertainment, and losing their touch with the reality of matter. Very few continue to work or care these days. We need a new life... but we cannot attempt to reach beyond without aid of those who are better experienced with the type of universe we are intending to explore. Thus... we believe that an organization known as the Extra-Solar Union of Systems might help us. Do you know or is Otagia a member of ESUS? The information we get through the anomaly is always partly or completely distorted by the sentients that exist in that universe, and we never managed to get a proper name from it."
Otagia
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Otagia »

"A shame, your disregard for philosophy. I find the discussion of such matters provides some level ground between organics and the archsentient. As for the environment, I'm pleased that you like it. It's a replica of the contents of my port bay, a sort of control group for my research in the Warp. I find it makes a pleasant locale to entertain guests as well."

The Gentleman nodded politely as Annika continued to speak, taking a seat in midair.

"A shame that your culture has stagnated thus. IT would, perhaps, do you good to "get out more," as it were. You mentioned the Extra-Solar Union of Systems. Fortunately for you, the Otagian Regency does indeed belong to the ESUS. If you'd like, I might be able to arrange a meeting with other members, possibly even the Senate if you're fortunate."

The Perfect Gentleman made a face. "Fluffypants, you're telling me that my inertiics don't work here? Crap, I haven't even begun to diagnose those subroutines. Compensating for everything that's wrong here is a bitch. Anyway, just a heads up regarding our Einsteinian friends: They know about the ESUS, and are requesting an introduction of sorts. Unless you've objections, I'll begin setting the stage as soon as I can get my long range comms working again."
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Solar Communes »

In the past, a single individual had the power to, if he wished, destroy the world into a nuclear holocaust he would start. Such was the age of the State, times when privileged few, rich and powerful, stomped over the downtrodden to maintain their privileges and increase their wealth. Times long gone thanks to the struggle of many untold and told heroes of the people, in their revolutionary flames, to the end they fought against many enemies. Emperors and kings, bourgeois, corrupt politicians, tyrants, but most important of all, enemies that had no shape or form. The belief that kings were given their powers by gods or a god, the hallucinations of the liberals, the savage exploitation of neoliberalism, the fascistic antes of the New World Order, until that at last, the millennial fight of man against coercion and tyranny has ended, and the Confederation then freed every single human being of the known universe.

Now, any individual has the power to, if he wishes, destroy a world into a nuclear holocaust he would start. With the greatest advances of the last thousands of years, armies controlled by a single person and weapons of mass destruction being part of household belongings became a reality, and perhaps the fact that no matter how such perhaps not so desirable consequence of giving power to the people came, never in Solarian history anyone have abused of such overwhelming individual power. Only for one reason perhaps, the fact it was a great power, but not an exclusivity, and thus, like everything else, things were balanced to avoid bar brawls to become exchanges of fusion bombs. Or perhaps it were the radical cultural changes, that have perhaps changed the nature of man, forever and for the best. For with great freedom comes greater responsibility.

Perhaps however, the shared diplomatic power that any individual technically had was much greater than the power the ownership of a weapon of mass destruction gave. A single nobody immersed in worlds of data for entertainment could, given the proper circumstances, make history regardless of any previous experience with diplomacy. Of course, for someone who never left a simulated reality and lost completely the touch with reality, a first contact of sorts was virtually impossible. Thus for such massive responsibility, only those who still have voluntarily choose to work would be available, and logically, those who worked in the closest facility to the only hole in the entire universe would be such individuals. Annika would now have the choice of defining much of the fate of Solar Communes. It was like a sortition democracy, where randomness decided to who the burden would fall, and this time she was the one. When the Perfect Gentleman finally confirmed something she was somehow both fearing and hoping, her thoughts began to scramble into the massive dilemma ahead, as the hope that the Extra-Solar Union of Systems was an exclusively human alliance vanished.

Ally with the Xenu? With the enemies of the human species? And because of my word? I... will be judged for whatever I decide now. I may be hated by many should I go ahead, and yet, without it, this portal once again proves the threat it is to our people. Anything could come, and without allies, alone, how certain would we be able to even defend ourselves? Alas, perhaps the understanding of the multiverse is a goal worth the sacrifice of sparing Xenu from their necessary extermination, at least for now. Still, I better be careful. There may be a much greater price to pay for joining them than the benefits.

The words were still on her mind, as she wondered about everything. Why did the universe randomness appoint her for a situation like this? To choose between denying the opportunity of venturing beyond their limited scope of existence, or shaking hands with aliens, fascists and traitors of humanity? Browsing history, she tried to find a justification for one of the choices, but all she encountered were reasons to forfeit such action while she could.

If Third Spanish States existed during the Second World War, would we ally with the Nazis to fight against the equally despicable Stalinists? No way! There is no convenience in betraying the principles of anarchism, it is our duty to side only with those who fight for freedom.

Yet the situation was quite different. For all she knew, perhaps this organization was the only opportunity to effectively explore beyond the realm of Chaos, to perhaps give a new age of expansion much faster than the hundreds of years that it will take for all star systems hundreds of light-years away from them to be probed and colonized, and maybe livable planets are so rare that such probes would bring nothing but the lifeless worlds that make most of the known universe. Alas even more worrisome was how their stagnation could mean in a distant future the extinction of humanity. It was a very tough situation, like if at the edge of the abyss, Stalin offered his hand to Solar Communes to get off its demise, and yet it could be a worse fate than extinction should she agree to go on. For much time, she simply stared at the beautiful environment and listened to his replies, whiled that, once again, Annika observed her schoolgirl outfit realizing how that even in situations like this, her culture conditioned her to not take things in an entirely serious way.

"A shame, your disregard for philosophy. I find the discussion of such matters provides some level ground between organics and the archsentient. As for the environment, I'm pleased that you like it. It's a replica of the contents of my port bay, a sort of control group for my research in the Warp. I find it makes a pleasant locale to entertain guests as well."

"A shame that your culture has stagnated thus. IT would, perhaps, do you good to "get out more," as it were. You mentioned the Extra-Solar Union of Systems. Fortunately for you, the Otagian Regency does indeed belong to the ESUS. If you'd like, I might be able to arrange a meeting with other members, possibly even the Senate if you're fortunate."

She thought and thought about it, it was not an easy decision, but it was obvious that a new or previous information has made her more cautious about what to answer back. Essentially, everything was taking into accord, including the fact the word Regency resembled Monarchy, one of the oldest reactionary enemies of the people, a fact, which coupled with the clear sign that aliens forced their humans to coexist with them, were major problems and reasons to just explain to the digital sentience that she is on drugs or something. Looking at the Perfect Gentleman, she did not give much, but if there was any alien in that environment, then everything would become obvious. Annika just pondered for a couple of minutes about it, reminding herself of the tragedy of the nano-plague and subsequent pulse bombardment in the Moon Oppeln, bringing the death of millions. For even with all advances, death was closer than ever, and they weren't exactly supermen either, and in circumstances like these, the so called bioconservatives had much greater chances to survive. A likely doom or to side with aliens and potential fascists was a tough choice, but eventually Annika's indecision began to wane. However she would not sign deals in the dark, and thus, she explained:

"I would be interested in a meeting, but first, I would like to know more about the Extra-Solar Union of Systems. Particularly on matters regarding sovereignty, for hopefully there is no central authority that would override our free and stateless society should we join. Otherwise I am afraid that no argument would be enough to convince us to sign ourselves as members of your Union, for if there is something we would not trade for anything at all, not even for our very lives, for we would rather die than to live without it, such thing is our freedom."
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Otagia wrote: The Perfect Gentleman made a face. "Fluffypants, you're telling me that my inertiics don't work here? Crap, I haven't even begun to diagnose those subroutines. Compensating for everything that's wrong here is a bitch. Anyway, just a heads up regarding our Einsteinian friends: They know about the ESUS, and are requesting an introduction of sorts. Unless you've objections, I'll begin setting the stage as soon as I can get my long range comms working again."

"Umm, no..." Tiber's reply came over the tightbeam to Perfect Gentleman, sounding rather distracted, "I mean, it would depend on how they work, right? You said your comms - I assume you meant FTL? - didn't work earlier, but my datalinks back home didn't even notice the transition. So who knows?"

Pausing, eyes scanning diagnostic readouts, he gave an absent nod, and cleared the first modified utility waldo for work, compressors and air jets fabricated while the new ship drive kitbash was bottlenecked - it couldn't fight gravity, not without it's IDD drives, but it should do for the zero-gee areas. Now if only the software...

Ears flattened at the sudden crash, clearly audible over the comm, the waldo scuffed but undented. Rubbing temples, Tiber groaned, muttering something about learning-impaired software.

"Please tell me you can spare a working compensator."

A minute passes with several more crashes, growing distant, as the Red Panda considers the rest of the message. "I don't know about you, but sitting here, helpless, off the bow of an isolated hunam empire, well, I'm kinda worried they might be a bit like the old Facehuggers - not to sound racist, but hunams seem to have a bit of a tendency toward being xenocidal psychopaths, if you see what I'm getting at," he makes a rueful chuff sound, "Mom would never forgive me if I got killed out here."