Another modest proposal: pseudo-membership

Debate decisions by ESUS senate here. (IC)

What vote ye?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:21 am

Yes
86%
No
14%
Abstain
No votes

Total votes: 14

The Mindset
Prefix: Den interstellera republik av
Name: The Mindset

Another modest proposal: pseudo-membership

Post by The Mindset »

As it stands, IRON has voted that ESUS members are exempt from their blockade of the galactic north. I therefore propose "pseudo-membership."

What does this entail?

Essentially, this means that anyone who wishes to bypass the IRON blockade may apply to become a pseudo-member of the ESUS. They will be permitted the right to fly ESUS colours and therefore bypass IRON's patrols. They will not be protected under any of the ESUS constitution until they pass the entrance tests and become a full member.

How do we stop stupid people from taking advantage?

I propose that all nations who apply must have three full ESUS members backing their application. One must be an admin (either myself, Arizona Nova or Central Facehuggeria).

What rights will pseudo-members have?

They will be permitted limited access to the ESUS forums and the ability to fly ESUS colours. They will not be protected under any of the ESUS constitution - no mutual defense or trade pacts.

If this passes, what happens?

I'll create a thread advertising this offer to unaligned/non-IRON nations who wish to bypass the blockade.

What is the intention?

To bring the glorious name of the ESUS into the spotlight, and possibly find a few new members in the process.

ADDENDUM AS PER OTAGIA: The pseudo-members will be obligated to conform to ESUS law. Specifically, non-aggression against ESUS members.

I will run the poll for seven days afterwhich the result will be determined.
Derscon
ESUS Spambot
Prefix: The Amaranthine Imperium of
Name: Derscon

Re: Another modest proposal: pseudo-membership

Post by Derscon »

I agree with Otagia.
We always have been, we are, and I hope that we always shall be detested in France. ~ Sir Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington
"Everywhere you prod it, even with the shortest stick, the established system isn't simply corrupt, it's unequivocally putrescent. The law is created by demonstrable criminals, enforced by demonstrable criminals, interpreted by demonstrable criminals, all for demonstrably criminal purposes. Of course I'm above the law. And so are you." (L. Neil Smith) "
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever.
Otagia
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Otagia »

Possible addition: Make them subject to ESUS police forces. That way, we maintain some actual logical reason for letting people do this.
Stercus stercus stercus Moriturus Sum
Kanuckistan
ESUS Testicle Monster

Post by Kanuckistan »

Otagia wrote:Possible addition: Make them subject to ESUS police forces. That way, we maintain some actual logical reason for letting people do this.

Why not have them register those vessels wishing to fly our colours with an ESUS member state of their choice? Or a central registry with profit split between members? Then we can collect a one-time registration fee, and maybe annual renewal? Nothing major, and nothing compared to what they'll pay in tariffs, of course(especially those giant superfreighters), but it's money and we're a trade alliance, and we could make decent cash on volume.

Of course, with 'member of choice', one of you guys could then go and offer to do it for free, after the vote, and undermine the whole scheme to make a little easy money, but it's small change anyway.

...unless 'obey our laws' also means full access to their markets. That's good too.

Alternatively, or supplementary, good PR. Which I think is what Mindset had in mind anyway.
Sskiss
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Great Therapodian Empire of
Name: The Sskiss

Post by Sskiss »

Sounds like a good idea. Fresh meat is always good...
"The Sskiss are prepared to share all - All that YOU have, that is!"

"Life is like a fresh kill, eat as much as you can before it all rots"

"Our blood drenched clade shall reclaim what is rightfully ours - and so wrongly taken from us by a whim of fate"
The Cerberus Alliance
ESUS Nipple-o-rama
Prefix: The Reclusive Protectorate of
Name: The Cerberus Alliance

Post by The Cerberus Alliance »

I've got no problems. They get to fly ESUS colors, further de-fanging the IRON claim and perhaps encouraging them to become full members, and we're under no obligation to help them should they decide to fuck up.
This won't end well.
Solar Communes
ESUS Testicle Monster
Prefix: The Confederation of
Name: Solar Communes

Post by Solar Communes »

Half of the galaxy shouldn't be controlled by Barney :evil:
ESUS: And with strange Eons, even Death may Die
The Cerberus Alliance
ESUS Nipple-o-rama
Prefix: The Reclusive Protectorate of
Name: The Cerberus Alliance

Post by The Cerberus Alliance »

Solar Communes wrote:Half of the galaxy shouldn't be controlled by Barney :evil:
Who are we to say what should or should not happen? If the people want to be ruled by the great purple dictator, let them have the grave they wish to dig.
This won't end well.
Kostemetsia
ESUS Spambot
Prefix: The Commonwealth of
Name: Kostemetsia

Post by Kostemetsia »

Hm. You could make it like a trial membership - have a version of the ESUS constitution apply to them which actually gives us more control over their internal affairs. Once they decide to join through the standard process, they get their freedom back.
[center]Image
God hasn't played dice with the universe since that fateful drunken night when he lost classical mechanics to the devil at craps.[/center]
The Mindset
Prefix: Den interstellera republik av
Name: The Mindset

Post by The Mindset »

In the GA thread, a lot of the criticisms of IRON stem from their collection of tariffs. Therefore, I don't think we should tax them - I do think we should force non-aggression against all ESUS members.